Thursday, June 3, 2010

Nairobits Experience(toddler's steps towards web greatness)

Fortune favors the brave!This powerful maxim as been the underlining optimism that is getting me through it all.My life has been the usual tale of poverty,coming from a slum with the hope of succeeding in life.But all too often disappointed by the divide that is poverty.

I had a dream of going to university and progressing to successfully to the career-world!As you may have sensed already,the death of my father the bread-winner robbed me of this dream.Thus i decided to enter the job market as inexperienced as i was and only able to qualify for ungraded jobs.This was when through the help of a CBO that i was a member to i got word of a chance in free computer training.(At first i was not so informed at the prospects presented).Being a staunch believer in reaching for the clouds and searching for silver linings!I dove to this chance with my fingers/toes crossed uncomfortably.

SID-Social Intiative for Development based in Dandora(an informal sector in the outskirts of Nairobi) was the first step in my endervour(i still think of it as a journey).After a grisly and fair interview.Then the subsequent forwarding of names to Nairobits.I was drafted for my first course at the Multimedia arts center!(studying web design,entrepreneurship,web development and finally life skills)My academic journey has reached the focal point that is Media Lab(the last course offered at Nairobits).Socially i was part of the World Start With Me-a program on sexual health!

Heaping praise on an unworthy thing is a waste!This is why i will waste no time in doing so.Because I have been Modeled by what i describe as an all-round-Performance by the Team behind Nairobits!The passion of the teachers is so immense,that i keep asking what is the secret?My answer is simple,Nairobits does not believe in charity its too vertical(in terms of class i guess!)but rather they believe in solidarity!Which is horizontal,respecting the diversity of us the students and learning from us the youth.(teachers blending assimilatingly with students)

What i want as a youth is simple;

Flexibility to make the right decisions

Hone my ambition and industrious nature for the better

Have tons of energy each day to do what i like best and make a living from my passion.

Nairobits gave me this and more.Modern education here is inspired by great hope that is the parent of great result.

I will not paint this road as being smooth for it has been bumpy!Amid all the toils that life has brought me during this time it is the hope of a better future that keeps my wheels going.This also is a feather on the hats of the team at Nairobits for they are the perfect epitomes of hardwork pays!Which plus braveness is favoured by for fortune!Reminding us each day that the Youth can make it no matter what!

*CBO-Community Based Organization

Kevin Isaac Nyasiwo-Fortunate Student of Nairobits(2009-2010)

3 comments:

  1. All the best and I agree hard work pays :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kevin Isaac, keep writing you have a nice turn of phrase and add links to your work!
    greetings from Amsterdam

    Emer

    ReplyDelete
  3. I salute you. Keep the Faith brother.

    ReplyDelete